Filling the Dr. JB's Clean Feeder ... Mess-free filling!
Note: This makes an approximate four-to-one, water-to-sugar nectar solution. There is no need to boil water to make an effective nectar solution for hummingbirds.
Feeder Placement: Try hanging your feeder at a good distance from any human or animal activity, and about six feet off the ground. Hummingbirds are very shy. They will eventually become accustomed to human activity, but they will be very hesitant to feed regularly at new feeders when there are humans nearby. See our Q&A for more information!
- Unscrew the bottle to remove it from the base
- Pour 1/3 cup of granulated sugar into the bottle.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of hot tap water into the bottle.
- Swirl solution in circular motion. Mix thoroughly, until milky
- Re-attach the base onto the bottle. Screw the base assembly onto the bottle.
- Take feeder outdoors, turn right-side up. The feeder should not splash or spill at all if you quickly flip it right-side up. It won't even spill or leak when it swings back and forth!
- Hang from a stable support.